The Trials of an American Dilettante

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Stealing Canoes

Bocas has been extremely fun, but I´ll never understand the people that spend months or years here. Parts have gotten vold after just four days, but for the most part, it is great. Then again, I have the cash to spend on dinners and boats. The local hippies and drop outs just hang out, so I don´t really understand the appeal of this place for them. To each his own, I guess.

I´ve kept myself pretty busy since I have little time. My first day, I took a boat with some people I met out to an island and went surfing. I partied a little too hard and woke up late the next day late so I just took a twelve mile hike up to the nearby cave. Naturally, I forgot a flashlight. Still, the trip went through farmland and jungle and was breathtaking. My third day, I befriended a group of crazy Argentinians (who are easily 80% of the tourist population), rented a boat and hung out on a far off, picture perfect island. Today, I dived for the first time in 8 years. I forgot how much I simply loved it.

Of course, sometimes you have one of those crazy nights. Last night, the police shut down the bars and clubs on our island. Just as I was about to head home, a group of 20 Argentinian ladies I had met arrived from their island looking to dance. ¨Washington!¨ (yes, they refer to me as that) ¨Come back to Aqua Lounge and dance!¨ How could I refuse? Well, once we got to their island, most of them lost their steam and went to bed. A few of hung out and did some high diving until about 2:30. A couple of Argentinian guys and I needed to head back to our island. Unfortunately, because the bars were closed, the boats had stopped running.

¨Hey Washington, let´s take this canoe,¨said one Argentinian pointing to an old dug out log canoe
¨That´s stealing, said the other

The evil side of me agreed with the former so the two us got in and I utilized my paddling skills from childhood camping. Across the channel we went, careful not to take water and made it to our island. We docked at a posh hotel on the water, jumped its fence and went home. It turned out the canoe was Aqua Lounge´s owners, they don´t make them anymore because the trees are endangered and he´s crazy having fought a taxi driver last week with a tire iron. I attempted to look for the canoe this afternoon, but it was gone from the hotel. It probably got back to it´s owner, right? I don´t think I´m going to go back to Aqua Lounge.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home