The Trials of an American Dilettante

Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Thanksgiving in Tafrout

No, Tiznit was not quite the shiznit. I only spent a few hours there, but it seemed to be nothing more than a dusty transit town. It had a nice wall and people were generally shocked to a foreigner there. A school full of kids crowded around me while I waited for the bus. This is standard for many places I've been. It was charming until they started asking for pens and then durham.

I finally was able to catch a bus to the small village of Tafrout. With a population of 5000 and only a handful of travelers, I was expecting a kind group. Sadly, its just easier for them to find me, harass me intensely or cheat me. I said to one, "you must come to terms with the fact that I will never come to your shop; then you will be free". It didn't work. Tafrout is hardcore muslim with women scarcely seen and when they are, they are fully covered in dark black like fundamentalist Iranians.

The nice thing is that Tafrout is in a breathtaking valley with palm trees, weird rock formations and clean air. I could spend weeks hiking around here. Its too bad the sun sets at 5:30 and I have evenings to kill. There's no one to talk to and nothing to do. If only I had a book other than the LP Morocco guide.

Well, it'll likely be a boring Thanksgiving.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home