The Trials of an American Dilettante

Sunday, November 13, 2005

When People Asume You Speak French

Being a foreigner in Morocco, people natually want to sell shit to me. They cannot since I speak English and they only speak Arabic and French. It puzzles them quite a bit, almost as much as this Arabic keyboard with the A in the Q spot and the M in the semicolon spot. In this crazy world, foreigners speak French.

Luckily Im travling with an ex-french foreign legion Belgian who knows French. He is dying of blood cancer and is visiting the widows of his dead war buddies all who died from blood cancer. They all got cancer from radiation from bombs dropped in Bosnia. He and one other are left out of 16. Hes on widow 11. What a quest.

Morocco is beautiful- its like a dumpy Spain or Turkey. People dont harrass you that much unlike say Egypt or Nam. They dont stare, but they look out of the corner of their eye like the Japanese. The women are mostly covered, but they still flash eyes at you at the last second when you pass by. Their coyness is very striking. Casa was quite a gross city and its much better in Marakesh, but I was expecting it to be warmer. I havent broken out the shorts yet.

Insight? I have none. My brain still is jetlagged.

3 Comments:

  • Spam! That's all the comments you get - spam! I bet there is no spam in Morocco.

    Je deteste les spameurs.

    By Blogger mizerock, at 4:06 PM  

  • I'd like to start a home-based business where I track down the people who post this garbage.

    K-Rock tells me that everyone in Morocco is out to rob foreigners, including the hotel staff. Please post regularly to assure us that you haven't been shanked in a dark bazaar.

    By Blogger mizerock, at 8:54 AM  

  • Hi there American Dilettante, a real useful blog. Can you believe it? When blog surfing for detailed info on work at home choices I ended up on your page. Obviously your site title of When People Asume You Speak French is not exactly what I was searching for, but your site caught my interest. Just wanted to drop a quick note to comment your blog...now to move on and continue my search for work at home choices. Should the need ever arise where you need information on work at home choices then drop by for a look.

    By Blogger Dale's Gmail, at 11:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home