The Trials of an American Dilettante

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Home, but Not Home

It all doesn't seem right. Maybe it's the snow and the freezing rain. Maybe it's my roommate, Noah, bragging about the three-way he had on his birthday. Maybe I'm just finished with DC.

Usually, when I come home from vacation, there is a small relief to be home. Don't get me wrong - overall, I almost always hate to come home. But, there are always those little comforts that ease the transition from the exotic abroad to the local banal. There's the food you miss. There's the hot shower. There's sleeping in your own bed.

This time, though, it was empty. Maybe I wasn't gone long enough. Maybe I hadn't yet missed my friends or family. Maybe my trip was too comfortable.

I suspect that it's more than that. Even though there's still some time left here, it feels temporary. When I see my house, I think about how I'm going to pack it up. When I see my friends, I wonder who will e-mail and visit. When I think of my parents, I wonder if they'll manage okay without me.

Home doesn't feel like home, but a waiting room.

2 Comments:

  • Um, what was that thing about your roommate? Yep, I think that's it. If you were in college, you would get straight A's for the semester if something like that happened to a roomie, right?

    Or it could be you really wanting to go on the State World Tour.

    By Blogger Trackball of Truth, at 7:31 PM  

  • Hmm yes it sounds as if the many wonders that await on the SWT are beckoning winds for the AD!

    Of course until the full on adventure begins, many miniDC adventures are still to be had, and perhaps Noah has offered some new inspiration! :)

    By Blogger shoffy22, at 4:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home