The Trials of an American Dilettante

Sunday, November 27, 2005

Final Islamic Days

So, I have to buy a fucking rug. Bargaining here is, needless-to-say, very annoying. I'm not sure I can get a good price or get things that are good quality. Does it matter? Only if one cares about pride regarding either price or quality. I'll do my best.

I saw Rabat, which I liked quite a bit even though other peope said to skip it. I guess I'm a sucker for castles, Roman ruins and graveyards over the ocean. Now, I'm in Fes for my last days. Fes is THE imperial city, they say. These AT-ATs better be good.

I liked my sister's Islamic hand on her door so I searched Marekesh for a hand. After all, maybe my big problem in life is that people have been casting evil eyes against me. After about an hour of hassle, all I found was bronze poorly cut and dented like childrens work and jewelry that cost way too much. I finally found a clearly mass made metal hand, but it has felt on the back. The felt shows age, but its clearly not hand made or unique. None-the-less, it was the best thing I had found. I asked how much and was told 700 duram (80 dollars). I offered 150 (18 dollars) which was still way, way too much. The thing is worth like 4 bucks. The guy said I was crazy and I told him he was crazy and I left in an angry huff. His partner ran after me and we made the deal quickly. So, now I have a metal hand. That's their strategy. They shoot astronomically high, you pick something still way too high and the deal is done.

I'm not looking forward to my trip back. My flight is at 7:55 in the morning. Now, the airport is 100 kilometers outside of Casa, so it takes an hour to get there. That means I should leave for the airport at the airport at 4:55. To make things worse, the only cheap transport stops at midnight. Then its 3 hours to Paris, 3 hour layover and 7 back to the US, then the subway home. Ug.

Then, few vacations for a while. Where will I go to enjoy cafes with gangster rap?

2 Comments:

  • Holy crap, what a set of tales. The part about the Corsican artist is just too odd to be fictional. This whole series of posts is venturing dangerously close to gonzo journalistic narratives - I love it! Thanks for letting the rest of us live vicariously through you.

    By Blogger The Rogue Progressive, at 6:21 PM  

  • Did you buy the rug?
    Were you travelling alone at some point? What happened to your friend?
    You are so "on" now, how do you plan on minimizing "off" in the future?

    By Blogger mizerock, at 9:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home