The Trials of an American Dilettante

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

More Beaches and Kumasi

Heading west of Accra, I checked out the forts of Cape Coast before heading to the beach. The forts kept slaves before their trip to the New World and they were pretty dreary. The guide kept making note of the lines where crap was before they excavated them. The people of Cape Coast wouldn't really let me walk around at night- they kept telling me to go home because it was supposedly dangerous. The Ghanans are always looking out for me, often too much.

I hit the beaches of Busua which were, of course, great. They were deserted and and beautiful, but the waves never got high enough to surf (despite the presence of surf shops). I took a tour of a palm making facility in the jungle. It looked more like a meth lab, really. Industrial barrels and antifreeze containers held the wine as it fermented. Little kids as young as four ran about blitzed off of palm wine.

I hopped a van to Kumasi that broke down. After a half-hour of sitting by the side of the road, a bus drove bye and picked us up. Kumasi is busy and industrious. The Ashanti people are colder and more business oriented than the Ewe in the east. The Ashanti sold the Ewe into slavery. Somehow, it shows.

The Larium is beginning to get to me. Dreams are stronger and I can't sleep as well. Though, it may be the fact that at night people leave their TVs blasting. In the morning, they sweep. The Ghanans are a sweeping people. From 4 to 8 am, they sweep, sweep and sweep. The sound of handleless brooms wakes me every morning and prevents me returning to slumber.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home