The Trials of an American Dilettante

Monday, June 02, 2008

Gemini

According to astrologists, I’m talkative, imaginative and clever, but also fickle, impulsive and restless. Though astrology is completely illogical and any six-year-old could debunk it, I do sound like a Gemini (at least to me). While I am a Gemini, I am more importantly a person, which means psychology applies to me.

In 1948, the psychologist Bertram Forer gave each of his students the same personality profile. On a scale of 0 to 5, the students ranked the accuracy of the profile. The average score was 4.26 with students believing that Forer was an excellent profiler. Not only did they believe the profile was accurate, they believed it uniquely applied to them.

So, we humans have a tendency to think that the general is specific to us. Some have nicknamed this phenomenon the “Barnum Effect” after P.T. Barnum’s “something for everyone” slogan. While we understand that, say, clothing sizes fit many, other things become irrationally personalized like, say, music and religion. Even when we know that something logically cannot really be speaking to us personally, it feels like it is.

Okay, so, if I’m just reading into this whole Gemini thing, then I ought to fit any horoscope, right? Let’s try a few. Virgo- analytical, precise, orderly, conventional, hygienic, reserved. Yeah, somewhat, but not really. Taurus- disciplined, hard-working, calm, cautious, stubborn. No, not at all. Sagittarius- witty, idealistic, reliable, energetic, impatient. Again, not really.

But, this is all subjective validation based on my own opinions of myself. To fight this subjective validation, one is supposed to use some objective criteria. How can I prove that I act like a Gemini or don’t act like a Gemini? Well, we could survey people that know me.

Of course, the problem with surveying people who know me is that they are my friends, family and others that exist in my social class. They are probably very similar to me. and their judgment of my qualities is relative to other people they have met. While they may perceive me as somewhat patient, I may be very patient compared to a different group and impatient compared to another. In fact, say I roll with a group of individuals who are very patient, even if I were also very patient compared to the rest of the world, I may perceive myself as impatient because my peers are so patient.

Unfortunately, we have no isolated, objective personality. We only have relative personalities compared to those around us. Even if my Gemini horoscope were true, it would only tell me what I am like compared to those I spend my time with.

Of course, I do kind of still think I sound like a Gemini, but then again, I am fickle.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home