The Trials of an American Dilettante

Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Giving In

So, I have decided I am going to buy an I-Pod. Yes, I must admit defeat. There seems to be a natural progression when it comes to change and resistance to change and I have gone through the full cycle.

Stage 1: Intrigue and Puzzlement

What is it? What does it do? Why would people want it? What are the costs?

Stage 2: An Attempt to Rationally Criticize

The thing seems like it will break. It costs way too much. Do I really need to bring my music everywhere?

Stage 3: Irrational Criticism

Oh, it’s just so hipster. I’ll be another follower.

Stage 4: Realization That Society is Changing Around You

Many of my friends have them. My parents are even thinking about getting one.

Stage 5: Acceptance

Okay, it’s not really that bad. In fact, it seems fine.


Now, this progression seems to work for a number of things. Look at the banning slavery, voting rights for women, the theory of evolution, acceptance of homosexuality, legalization of abortion and cell phone usage. The progressive goes through the cycle to acceptance. The conservative either finds a legitimate concern in Stage 2 or gets stuck in Stage 3 reinforcing his belief with lies. Stage 4, though, is really the main influence. People around us condoning things is really the greatest influence when it comes to societal change.

Change, though, is not always good. Going straight to Stage 4 or Stage 5 without going through Stage 1 and 2 can lead to foolish actions (i.e. using drugs, following a religion, going to law school).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home