The Trials of an American Dilettante

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Lakes and Haircuts

I decided to go see Lake Bosumtwee, where Ashanti souls pass after they die. It was a nice misty and mystical lake. Some guy pretended to be the chief and wanted me to give him money for tree planting. When I didn't give him anything, he called me a racist and tried to fight me. The other villagers apologized for him.

Upon return to Kumasi, I decided I needed a haircut. This is a dilemna, though, as clearly no one knows how to cut white hair. So, I got buzzed and now my hair is shorter than ever before in my life (well, maybe birth). It looks okay, but, then again, I'm tanned so everything looks fine. The barber asked if I wanted a shave and I said sure. He then shaved my face with his hair clipper. If you ever have the chance to shave your face with a hair clipper, I would recommend passing on it as it was extremely painful. I struggled to hold back tears as the clippers ripped into my neck hairs. Ahh Africa.

Tomorrow I head north to a monkey sanctuary. Awesome.

2 Comments:

  • hah! what a very funny image from the barber there - ooh! indeed that sounds a little rough to be using the hair clippers to shave, crazy wild! and also quite amusing to think about the TVs running thru the night and then the four hours of sweeping each morn, wow Ghana must have some sparkling floors! there must be no need for tables to eat on!

    By Blogger shoffy22, at 10:41 PM  

  • I, too, have taken the shave with the clippers option here in Ghana. I was bleeding everywhere (AIDS) and the solution was to throw baby powder on the cuts.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 9:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home