The Trials of an American Dilettante

Friday, January 18, 2008

Tired inTamale

I spent yesterday on buses and am exhausted today. I had to catch a shared taxi into Kumasi and then a tro tro to Techiman. From Techiman, I went by shared taxi to Nkoranza and then by tro tro on a horrible road to Boabeng to see a monkey sanctuary with two different types of monkeys. The monkey's were neat, but like the grand canyon, it's a long trip and after 30 minutes, you've seen it. A Peace Corps volunteer was in my tro on the way to the sanctuary. He seemed ready to kill himself from the isolation. I remember isolation well from China, but his must be worse for him. At least I had a couple of fiends to see in the evening and some McDonald's in Shanghai. He has a lot of dust and the polluted nothingness of Techimen. He says market day is the highlight of his week. As fun and romantic and the Peace Corps may seem at times, Margo's description of it being "two years of being really bored" seems pretty accurate.

I then had to go back to Nkoranza and then Techiman to hop a bus crowded with Muslims to Tamale. God, that was long. When I arrived, it was super late and most hotels were booked. I also unfortunately picked up a tailing kid who tried to meet me today, but I managed to finally offend him and got rid of him. I got my ticket to go to Mole. The place is booked, so I'm not sure where I'll be sleeping (maybe the town 4 km away). Oh well, I'll figure it out. Muslims can't deny you a place to sleep.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home